Road Closures Planned for Ironman Triathalon
Palisades Interstate Parks and nearby roads to close Saturday.
Fort Lee officials have advised that there will be multiple road closures in area of George Washington Bridge Saturday due to Ironman U.S. Championship competition. Road closures will be in effect from 1 am to approximately 11:30 pm Saturday.
Hudson Terrace will be closed throughout the enitre borough, from the Edgewater border to Washington Avenue. The southbound lanes of the Palisades Interstate Parkway from Exit 17 (Anthony Wayne Recreation Area) to the George Washington Bridge will be closed from 2 am through 8 pm Saturday.
Spectators will be allowed on Hudson Terrace by foot access only at Hudson Terrace along the southbound side of the parkway. Spectators WILL NOT be permitted anywhere else along the length of Parkway or Route 9W in New Jersey. (Spectators seeking access to the park via ferry from Manhattan should contact the event coordinator at 212 691-2200.)
The Palisades Interstate Park Commission have advised that the following parks will be closed to the public due to the Ironman Triatholon:
- Ross Dock Picnic Area will be closedto the public starting on Thursday, August 9 and will remain closedthrough Sunday, August 12.
- Englewood Picnic Area will be closed to the public on Saturday, August 11 and will be reopened on Sunday, August 12.
- Fort Lee Historic Park and the trails south of the Englewood Cliffs park entrance/PIP Exit 1 will be closedon Saturday, August 11. (State Line Lookout, the northbound side of the Palisades Interstate Parkway, and the trails north of the Englewood Cliffs park entrance/PIP Exit 1 will remain open to the public.)
- Henry Hudson Drive("River Drive") will be closed to vehicle AND bicycle traffic on Saturday, August 11.
The following restrictions will also be in place at Englewood Boat Basin on August 11:
- On Saturday, August 11, Englewood Boat Basin will be accessible to boat owners’ vehicles only. Guest vehicles will not be permitted in the park. Passes for boat owners are available at the Englewood Boat House. Only one pass is available for each slip.
- East bound traffic will not be permitted on Palisades Avenue between 9W and the park entrance. Boaters must approach Palisade Avenue via Hudson Terrace and MUST present the pass at the police check points or they will not be permitted entrance into the park. No exception at all.
- Boat traffic will not be permitted to enter or leave the boat basin between 4:00 and approximately 10:00 AM. The US Coast Guard has established a safety zone around the swim portion of the race and will be enforcing this restriction.
- Boat owners will be permitted to access the boat basin via Dyckman Hill only. Staring at approximately 12:00 PM, boat owners should expect to encounter athletes on Dyckman Hill. There will only be one lane of traffic available on the lower portion of the road between 12:00 PM and the end of the day. Vehicles will be required to stop and wait at either end until they are given permission to proceed.
Officials advise that congestion is possible throughout Fort Lee and surrounding towns, and ask that you plan accordingly.