Sunday, March 31, 2013
Electrical problems reported before flames broke out, fire officials say.
Firefighters faced extreme heat and arcing electrical wires as they worked to knock down a stubborn two-alarm blaze that forced a Garrison Avenue family from their home Saturday, officials said. Teaneck fire crews were on the scene within three minutes after a call came in at 1:11 p.m. reporting smoke coming from a house at the corner of Wyndham Road, Fire Chief Anthony Verley said in a statement. Crews arrived to find heavy smoke pouring from the chimney and basement windows. Firefighters first tried to enter the basement but were pushed back by the heat, Verley said. Crews were able to extinguish the basement fire after firefighters ventilated the windows. The flames had traveled up through the walls, spreading to the first and second …
Friday, January 4, 2013
Blaze breaks out near the Teaneck-Englewood border.
Firefighters knocked down a house fire on West Englewood Avenue in Englewood, near the Teaneck border, Friday night. Flames were seen shooting from the attic around 10 p.m. as crews worked to control the fire. The home appeared to be heavily damaged, but there were no reports of any serious injuries. Teaneck and Englewood fire departments were dispatched to the scene, along with paramedics and the Englewood Volunteer Ambulance Corps. Check back for updates on this breaking news report. Photos? News tip? E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Monday, October 15, 2012
The injured were reported to be in stable condition early Sunday, according to ambulance service.
A two-vehicle crash on Route 4 westbound near the Teaneck-Englewood border sent eight people to area hospitals late Sunday, authorities said. None of the injuries were believed to be life-threatening, according to police. New York City's Hatzolah volunteer emergency medical service responded to the crash and reported on Twitter that the injured were in stable condition. At least one person was pinned in the wreck. A black sports utility vehicle outfitted with emergency lights and a white van were involved in the crash, however, additional details were not immediately available. The Hatzolah ambulance service said the accident involved an escort for a religious official, identified as the Grand Rabbi of Satmar. Bergen County police reopened…
Thursday, May 24, 2012
Flames quickly knocked down by Teaneck firefighters
Fire crews quickly extinguished a kitchen fire at a house on St. Marks Place Wednesday evening. A call came in around 6:15 p.m. and fire crews were on the scene in three minutes, according to Teaneck Fire Chief Anthony Verley. Firefighters quickly doused flames in the kitchen and used a thermal imaging camera to check the rest of the house. There was smoke damage throughout the building and firefighters also had to vent out carbon monoxide from the attic, Verley said. A ladder truck from Englewood assisted at the scene while firefighters from Hackensack and Ridgefield Park stood by to handle other calls in town. The Teaneck Volunteer Ambulance Corps was also called in. Authorities said there were no serious injuries. - Follow Patch on …
Wednesday, May 2, 2012
Lack of working smoke detectors in Cedar Lane apartment could have led to more serious fire, officials say.
Teaneck firefighters were called to two fires less than ten minutes apart Tuesday, one in a Cedar Lane apartment without working smoke detectors, according to the fire chief. Firefighters responded to a report of a stove fire at a house on Northumberland Road at 5:45 p.m. The fire was out when crews arrived, but firefighters used a thermal imaging camera to make sure the flames had not spread in the kitchen. While at that call, the fire department was dispatched to a report of something burning at a large apartment complex next to Fire Station 2 on Cedar Lane, Chief Anthony Verley said. Crews arrived to find a smoldering fire in an apartment and had to cut open a nearby area to check if any flames had spread. The fire was under control …
Saturday, March 3, 2012
Two firefighters treated and released, building evacuated.
An overloaded electrical cord in the bedroom of an apartment without working smoke alarms caused Friday afternoon’s two-alarm fire at a building on Linden Avenue, fire officials said. The Teaneck Fire Department was on the scene just a minute after the 4:18 p.m. call came in, and found fire in a second floor apartment, Chief Anthony Verley said early Saturday. Firefighters had the flames out in 15 minutes and contained to one apartment. Two firefighters were treated and released from Holy Name Medical Center. Three people who lived in the apartment were not home when the fire broke out, and no other residents were hurt, officials said. “Searches of the building took a long time due to lack of keys to get into the other apartments. Some …
Thursday, November 17, 2011
Cat makes full recovery after rescue
A cat named Wally rescued from cold, fast-moving water by a team of Englewood firefighters is in need of a permanent home. On Nov. 1, a local youth reported hearing a cat near the brook in Mackay Park, a statement on the city website said. Members of the Englewood Fire Department’s 2nd Platoon searched the area and eventually heard the cat’s cries for help. “Closer investigation revealed that Wally was trapped in an open space beneath the canal retaining wall, standing on a small sliver of concrete, his paws and belly wet, surrounded by very cold, relatively deep and fast-moving water, with no way of getting back to dry ground,” the statement said. Firefighters realized Wally wouldn’t survive without a quick rescue. Acting City Fire Chief …
Wednesday, November 9, 2011
Officials credit quick response with containing the blaze.
- POLICE & FIRE
- Noah Cohen
Wednesday, November 9, 2011
The Red Cross has been called in to help relocate residents of a Longfellow Avenue house that was damaged in a two-alarm fire Wednesday afternoon, officials said. A call came in around 2:45 p.m. reporting a fire at the house on Longfellow Avenue, near Bogert Street, said Deputy Fire Chief Thomas Draney. Firefighters found heavy smoke coming from the house and the residents outside unharmed. Fire crews contained the blaze to the first floor, but the house had widespread smoke damage, Draney said. One Teaneck firefighter was treated at the scene for a cut hand, he said. Investigators were interviewing the homeowner, but the fire did not appear suspicious, the deputy chief said. The fire was brought under control within a half-hour. “The …